Headbangers' Weekly Challenge: Through the shop window

Thursday 30 August 2012

Water Bottles

Last night I tried something (photographically) I've never done before. The setup for this job took easily 4 times longer than the shooting itself, but I'm very pleased with the results!

Basically I got a empty glass bottle, tied it upside down to my background stand over a bucket and photographed the coloured water coming out. I tried different colours but I liked blue the best as it's slightly see through compared to the other food colouring I bought.

Settings and equipment were as follows: Nikon D800 with 105mm Micro VR lens. 1/250th of a second at f/22, ISO 100. Camera was tripod-mounted and I used a cable release for the shutter having focused the lens previously and knocking it back to Manual focus. Regular food dye, a bucket, a background stand, a measuring jug (to decant the coloured water into the glass bottle), a glass bottle and a towel. Oh, and 2 Interfit EX150 heads on full power. One was pointing at a white background and the other was in a softbox pointing straight at the bottle.

These are the results:





I decided to make a triptych (more of a quadtych!?) out of these pictures which I am going to frame and put up in our kitchen, I'm that chuffed with it :)



2 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I agree, the blue works best. More natural. If you had used red, I guess it might have looked like blood!

    Smoke one day & water the next. You'll have to do something with earth next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should say that Chris! I'm photographing a car rally in the Galloway Forest Park tomorrow. I'm sure there'll be loads of shots of earth being kicked up by the wheels.

      Delete